Our Quinoa Brekkie Slice is designed to be prepared then portioned for a quick, easy, on the go, healthy breakfast or lunch. It is packed full of protein, low in carbs and full of healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and fibre. The best part is that it is delicious! This slice freezes and thaws well so you can make up a few batches and have weeks worth of meals ready to go. This recipe can be easily altered by using the quinoa, stock and egg base then adding any grated veg, herbs, spices or pre-cooked meats that you like, this way it will never get boring. Get adventurous!
Preparation time: 25mins
Cooking time: 30-40mins
Serves: 10-12 portions
2 cups of tri-coloured quinoa
4 cups of vegetable stock or bone broth
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
200g feta (goats or vegan)
250g of mushrooms (you can choose button, porcini, shitake, or a mix of your favourite mushrooms)
6 large eggs
2 cloves of garlic
Pinch of mineral/sea salt and pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric powdered or freshly grated
2 spigs of fresh rosemary and thyme or 1 heaped teaspoon of dried herb
1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 1800 Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine quinoa and stock together in a medium pot. Bring to boil then simmer for 15 mins or until just soft. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, mushroom, spinach, feta, garlic, oil and herbs. Add to cooled quinoa.
- Lightly beat eggs and add to the quinoa and vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour contents into pre-lined tin or baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 30-40mins, until golden brown or until set. Enjoy!
Make this slice the day before shopping day and use up all the remaining veg in your fridge! Change up the flavour combinations to find your favourites.
Make this Download the full recipe in PDF format
Created by Melbourne Naturopath Regina Eylward-Piko
© The Health & Wellbeing Studio 2019