These Chocolate Cakes are made from green banana flour which is sourced from green Lady Finger bananas. It is a great gluten free flour alternative with a neutral flavour when cooked, but can also be added raw to smoothies, yoghurt and cereal where it has a subtle banana flavour. Green banana flour is a rich source of resistant starch, which is the main accolade behind its rise to fame. Resistant starch is a prebiotic that feeds the good bacteria of your small intestine without being digested itself. Resistant starch has a multitude of health benefits, which may include increased satiety, improved metabolism, a reduction in digestive complaints such as bloating, and may help to reduce the risk of diabetes and obesity. Green banana flour is also a great source of magnesium and potassium.
A pretty impressive resume!
Keep in mind that these chocolate cakes are intended as a sweet treat as it contains coconut sugar.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes: 12 cupcakes
1 ½ cups Green Banana Flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
3 tbsp raw cacao powder
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 cup almond milk
2/3 cup coconut oil
1 cup natural peanut butter
1. Preheat oven to 180C, line 12 hole muffin tray with liners.
2. Place all ingredients, except peanut butter, into food processor and blend until well combined.
3. Divide mixture evenly between 12 muffin holes.
4. Spoon a scant tablespoonful of peanut butter into the centre of each cake.
5. Bake 20 mins or until cooked through, when cakes bounce back when gently pressed.
Created by Melbourne Naturopath Bree Jenner