A nod to our neighbours to the north of the planet, shivering through a white Christmas, with a warming hot chocolate in their hands, we have created an iced version with a minty twist. This yummy recipe is a great treat for a Christmas breakfast or a treat for morning or afternoon tea (careful of the caffeine from the cacao before bed!). The peppermint and cinnamon give a natural sweetness, but you can add a touch of maple syrup to sweeten a little more depending on your taste. The avocado and coconut milk give a luxurious, creamy texture, and the whipped coconut cream adds an indulgent touch.
Preparations time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 0 mins
2 x 400ml cans coconut milk, chilled
3 tbsp cacao
½ avocado, peeled
5 mint leaves or 2 peppermint teabags
1-2 tsp maple syrup, optional
Coconut water and ice to top up
1. If using teabags, boil the kettle and place both teabags in a cup, covering with boiling water. Remove the teabags and squeeze the tea into a cup. Repeat 4-5 times to get good flavour.
2. Remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge – DO NOT SHAKE!
3. Open the can and scoop the cream from the top and return to the fridge to chill again.
4. In a blender, combine the coconut milk, cacao, tea or mint leaves and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
5. Pour the chocolate mixture between two glasses. Top with coconut water and ice.
6. Remove the coconut cream from the fridge and beat well until resembling whipped cream. Spoon over the iced chocolates to serve.
Created by Melbourne Naturopath Bree Jenner
© The Health & Wellbeing Studio 2017