Feta, Beetroot, Spinach & Walnut Salad
Fantastic as a side dish or bulk it up with some protein to have as a main meal.
– Gluten free
Preparations time: 15mins
Cooking time: 30mins
Serves: 4 people
Extra virgin olive oil
Cracked pepper & Sea salt
1/3 cup Walnuts
250g Baby Spinach leaves
4 Baby beets or small beets halved
1 Garlic clove
150g of Feta
1 bunch of asparagus
Lemon juice (optional)
1. Set the oven to 180C.
2. Lightly sauté walnuts in olive oil until golden.
3. Separate walnuts and drain on paper towels: set aside oil to use as a salad dressing.
4. Lightly rub baby beets with olive oil and crushed or grated garlic, wrap in foil and bake in the oven until can easily pierce with a knife, (alternatively steam).
5. Put asparagus spears in to a shallow amount of boiling water- simmer for a couple of minutes, take out straight away and place in cold water for 30 seconds (this helps to keep the colour). Cooking time depends in how crunchy you like the asparagus.
6. Put spinach leaves in to a salad bowl, loosely layer beets, asparagus spears and walnuts.
7. Lightly toss in dressing.
8. Put feta cheese on top and garnish with cracked pepper.
1. Combine Olive oil (from sautéed walnuts), Balsamic vinegar, Cracked pepper and a little sea salt (to liking).
Serve and enjoy!
To increase protein content include – quinoa, smoked chicken, roast chicken, tuna or have as a side dish to a lean piece of meat.
Created by Naturopath Bianca Potenta