A hearty filling omelette packed full for protein and containing the sunshine nutrient, Vitamin D, from the eggs and shiitake mushroom. Perfect for the cooler months of year during Melbourne’s winter, where very little sunlight is seen and a yummy warming nutritious dish is on the mind of every health-conscious Melburnian.
Preparations time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
3 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 garlic clove, crushed
75g oyster mushrooms
75g enoki mushrooms
75g Shiitake mushrooms
4 green shallots, trimmed, cut into 15cm lengths, cut in half lengthways
60ml (1/4 cup) oyster sauce
1/2 bunch English spinach, washed, trimmed and roughly chopped
Coriander or parsley to serve
Feta to serve (optional)
1. Crack eggs into a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of the soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, and whisk with a fork until well combined.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, green shallots, remaining soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of the oyster sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms and shallots are tender. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add half the spinach and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until just wilted. Pour over half the egg mixture and cook, tilting the pan until mixture covers base. As omelette sets, lift edge so uncooked egg runs underneath. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until just set. Place on plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat.
4. To serve, cut omelettes in half and place on serving plates. Divide the mushroom mixture in half. Top the omelettes with 1 portion of the mushroom mixture and fold to enclose. Top with remaining mushroom mixture. Drizzle each with 2 teaspoons of oyster sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander or parsley and serve sprinkled with feta. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For a dairy and lactose free friendly option, omit the feta.
Create by Melbourne Naturopath Bianca Potenta
Adapted from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/mushroom-omelette-oyster-sauce/2bb48795-b390-4216-a28e-1fc8522f4364.